Friday, September 2

True inspiration.

A couple of days back, I was watching The ESPYS 2011 on ESPN with the family. An ESPY Award (short for Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award) is an accolade presented by the American cable television network ESPN to recognize individual and team athletic achievement and other sports-related performance during the calendar year preceding a given annual ceremony.

The first ESPYs were awarded in 1993 (cool, it is now 18 years old, LIKE ME)

Anyway, what really stole my attention was during the presentation of the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance which was awarded to a 23 year old boy. Anthony Robles, he was. A smile, so big, so real, that it deceived every pain he suffered.

Robles was born with only one leg, but refused to wear a prosthetic leg, removing it at the age of 3. He endeavored to work around his missing leg, strengthening his body with various exercises. He lived his life with full support from his mom, who is his superwoman. There are irresponsible mothers out there, who would have just abandoned their newborn if they were disabled. But the mother of Anthony Robles, was definitely one to look up to, a true mother.

Anthony Robles is a wrestler who won the 2010-11 NCAA individual wrestling championship in the 125-pound weight class despite being born with only one leg. He's awesome, isn't he?

Anthony Robles. A living inspiration.
Just look at the smile on his face.

Robles at action during the wrestling championship.

He has definitely inspired me, i'm sure you'll have teary eyes if you read his full life story. Perseverance is what keeps us going, moving forward in life. It's the determination in us that will enhance success in our lives. When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. A kid stands up immediately after he falls. That's the life of determination.

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."

Apart from NEVER giving up, i believe that we should appreciate everything around us. Because the least bit thing we can do in return to all that that our loved ones has given to us, is to APPRECIATE. Here's a token of appreciation to my family who has always been with me through every thick and thin. And, to all the people i got to know ever since i was brought to life, good or bad, you are appreciated. It is you, that made me stronger, made me wiser, made me abeliever. Made me who i am today. Thank you.

Every sole that comes to earth with a leg or two at birth
Must wrestle his opponents knowing its not what is
But what can be that measures worth.
Make it hard, just make it possible.
And through pain I’m not complaining
My spirit is unconquerable,
Fearless I will face each foe
For I know that I am capable.
I don’t care what’s probable
Through blood, sweat and tears
I am unstoppable.

- Anthony Robles

No comments: